RAME, the ancient name of which was "Pendenhar," meaning "a barren headland," is a parish on the shore of the English Channel, 5 miles south-west from Plymouth, in the South Eastern division of the county, hundred of East, petty sessional division of East South, union of St. Germans, East Stonehouse county court district, rural deanery of East, archdeaconry of Bodmin and diocese of Truro. The church of St. Germans is a plain building of Pentewan stone and granite, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave of five bays, north transept, south aisle, north porch and a western tower with dwarf spire, containing 3 bells, of which the first bears the hitherto unexplained word or words "DEOPRASIAS;" the other two are dated 1637 and 1723 the chancel retains a piscina, and in the south aisle remain another piscina and the rood-loft stairs: the church contains numerous monuments of the 17th century and later dates there is a fine memorial window to the Rev. Thomas Hunt Ley, rector from 1824, erected by his son, the Rev. Richard Ley : the church was restored in 1848 and again by the Earl of Mount Edgcumbe in 1885. An additional half acre was added to the churchyard in 1885 by the patron and rector. The register of baptisms dates from the year 1653; marriages, 1661; burials, 1656. The living is a rectory, commuted tithe rent-charge £214; average, £163; net yearly value £170, including 41 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Earl of Mount Edgcumbe, and held since 1867 by the Rev. William Cornwallis Evans, of St. Bees. The charities, amounting to £7 19s. yearly, are distributed in bread by the churchwardens.
Here is a coast-guard station. Rame Head, a well-known promontory, and the nearest point of land to the Eddystone rocks and Light-house, from which it is distant 9 miles, is in this parish and consists of a mass of rock declining towards the sea, forming the western boundary of Plymouth harbour, and the eastern boundary of WHITESAND BAY; on it are the remains of the ancient chapel of St. Michael, licensed for the Dawnay family in 1397 and 1425; it is 22 feet long by 9 wide, and has a vaulted roof. On Penlee Point is a pinnacled tower, serving as a sea mark. South of the parish is Polbawn battery, a strong fortress commanding Whitesand Bay. The now and large battery, constructed here in 1889, has a powerful armament of two 38-ton muzzle-loading rifled guns, and three 42-ton breech-loading rifled guns, with a range of from five to seven miles: these guns are mounted on the Moncrieff principle, being fired by a range-finder, and in sight only when in the firing position. The men serving the weapons are well protected, and the battery is looked upon as a most formidable one. The magazine and accommodation for the men in charge of the guns is built near the battery, no stone having been used, but only bricks and cement. From their elevated position the guns will not only have an extensive command of the Channel, but also be very difficult to hit by an enemy's iron-clad.
The Earl of Mount Edgcumbe P.O., D.C.L., L.L. is lord of the manor and the principal landowner. The soil is loamy; subsoil, gravel. The crops are corn, chiefly barley. The area is 1,261 acres of land, 149 of tidal water and 149 of foreshore; rateable value, £2,316 ; the population in 1891 was 865.
CAWSAND, on Cawsand Bay, 1 mile north-east, is in the parish of Rame. The chapel of St. Andrew, attached to the parish church, was erected in 1878, and is a building .et stone and brick in. the Early English style, consisting of chancel and nave and a bell turret : the chancel was added in 1883: there are sittings for 300 persons. Here is a Congregational chapel. A government torpedo depot as erected here in 1889. The principal landowner is the Earl of Mount Edgcumbe,
Parish Clerk, George White.
POST & M.0.0., S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office, Cawsand.-Thomas Cleave, sub -postmaster. Letters through Plymouth arrive at 7.50 a.m. & 4.10 p.m. ; Sundays at 9.50 a.m.; dispatched, 9.10 & 11 a.m. & 5.40 p.m. Sundays, 11 a.m. Millbrook is the nearest telegraph office WALL LETTER Box, Pilot Boat inn, cleared at 8.55 & 10.50 a.m. & 5.35 P.M. ; Sundays, 10.50 a.m.
Church School (boys, girls & infants), for 350 children; average attendance, 92 boys, 110 girls & 85 infants; Frederick Lintel, master ; Mrs. Jane Pascoe, mistress ; Miss Sarah Jane Osmond, infants' mistress.